Monday, February 1, 2010

TRUTH shall prevail?!

As children we parroted the school poem every morning ... which amidst its other idealistic lines had a phrase that said ... 'TRUTH SHALL PREVAIL'! As a child, I obviously didn’t know otherwise and prided my self when my teacher called me to the front of the class to lead the recitation of the song, as I recited it 'so nicely' compared to the rest of my classmates.

However, despite the daily morning chant, through my growing years, somehow Truth was a choice I seldom made as there was always the fear of consequence... what would Mummy think if she got to know, teacher will get angry, my friend will be katti with me, I have got poor marks - what will Papa say!? Opinions mattered so much and I was too young to know how to deal with the possibly harsh (?) consequences. These fears grew and became not unlike monsters in my innocent mind … seeming so much larger than the tiny me!

Today, as a woman of the house, as a colleague at work, as a friend or as a citizen of the world I consciously choose Truth and preach it, knowing that Truth is ‘Godliness’ and that it spreads ‘Goodness’ and in the over all mix of things it is for the good of all. I believe I have the maturity to deal with the consequences that may come my way and I fearlessly pride myself for abiding with Truth at the risk of being branded a critic or brazen or opinionated or even down right rude. You might say it is stupid of me to be so apolitical but I would rather be upfront about what I think than be a hypocrite and hate myself for it. More often than not I have come through victorious on my resolve because Truth is right for me, for the people in the situation and for the world at large.

And yet the sad truth is that because most people don’t like to hear or deal with truth, more often than I would like to admit, I am forced to bend towards the other end of the spectrum -- examples that I feel guilty about are ... You don’t tell your boss that she or he is an apology of a leader because you risk your annual appraisal getting awry or getting fired, you don’t tell your maid in enough words that her work is horrible as you run the risk that she won’t turn up the next morning, you listen to crap from a popular yet conceited colleague because you want to be on his right side, you hold back irritation with your spouse on mundane issues as you want to keep peace in the house, you mutter your angst with the system within the confines of your air-conditioned car as you inch through traffic-clogged bumpy roads as you just don’t have the time or patience to deal with such things – it is after all the Government’ job, you don’t stand up and fight terrorism or internal enemies of the state that dispel the oneness of India and you don’t put annoying relatives in their place for interfering in your way of life ... strangely despite my advocacy of Truth I find myself numbing to certain situations of my life … and remain silent to what my mind is shouting or I am reduced to humming and hawing and pulling punches and being politically right … my peers/family/friends egg me into behaving so – don’t be ridiculous, you should not be belling the cat … don’t get involved Priya because you will end up getting blamed … mind your own business yaar … bina wajah ke liye phans jaogi … it will unnecessarily complicate your life – and sadly, I allow such things to happen around me … feeding the demon of frustration that builds within me … where is the space for Truth in the throng of the political thought process doing a TANDAV dance within my mind!?! I feel a sense of gnawing guilt as I look around … only to find that everyone else too is in the same boat … making compromises with their conscience, with their school drilled value systems and with their pride … simply because it is easier to be untruthful ... or it is easier to keep quite!

And of course this choice of silence lets wrong continue, lets mediocrity prevail and negativity grow… we allow house help to continue to do shoddy work and hence our home is not up to the standard we are used to or we like, we let people be mean to us without putting up a front, we don’t have the courage to put people in their place and we are reduced to internalised bitching which increases the negative energies within us and our homes and losing our patience with our kids or spouse or parents becomes a vent of our STRESS, we allow people to be unprofessional, we choose to let a bad leader remain bad leading to a frustrated non-performing team which in turn produces poor quality products and services and a dissatisfied customer base, we let a nasty colleague remain so and let gossip thrive making the work environment unhealthy, we continue inching along bumpy roads and cursing our polity for all the mayhem that the country is drowning in and feel good about the 7.5- 8% GDP growth that is attracting all the FII money to goad the SENSEX to higher highs making the rich richer while farmers not so far away continue to take their lives, we continue without much hope making virtually blind and uninformed choices at the polling station year on year, while reading the papers every morning we choose to let the oneness of our country get diluted with only Tsk-tsking at the continued obliteration caused by our so called leaders ... and so on … Our life has become a consequence of these countless decisions of untruth and silence and hence it is only WE who are responsible for our life being the way it is … sadly this is the only truth that prevails!!

2 comments:

anja said...

so well written and so true and sad. We have all become comfortably numb with injustice, mediocrity....I know that demon that you speak of...sigh it is easier to compromise always..its when you stop to think that everything seems insufferable.

So well put,

"I allow such things to happen around me … feeding the demon of frustration that builds within me … "

"And of course this choice of silence lets wrong continue, lets mediocrity prevail and negativity grow… "

Dr. Rakesh YashRoy said...

Priya: Good take on hurdles angainst truth. You have not tried to kill your conscience despite problems and personal compulsions. This is why the rhyme "Saanch braabar tup nahin .." of Kabir we still remember. Following and protecting truth, no matter, how tactically is the real graduation of life. Even an avatar of God, if He chooses to forget His being God, shall have His Raam-kahaani survive through milennia as Ramayan. Gandhiji also experimented with truth and we remember him still, despite he did not rule India. This is how genuine seekers of truth outshine every common tom dick and harry, as the later take the easy course to suit their comfort and leave the world a worse place for posterity.

Raj Kumar Singh - Being Good, Rickshaw Driver, Mumbai

While getting off a rickshaw saddled with a few heavy bags last afternoon, I heard a sound of something dropping and so turned to look ba...