Monday, December 10, 2007

Subah ho gayi mami!!


My mornings begin with a reluctant hauling myself out of bed with expected difficulty and mindlessly heading bleary eyed to the loo only to sleep some more on the pot while my inners awake to natures call; and it is only after about thirty minutes of this blissful mid-sleep awakening that I actually awaken to my calling duties of THE RESPONSIBLE WOMAN OF THE HOUSE' BIG MORNING ROUTINE!!

The BMR begins with me downing a glass of Methi water with soaked bitter Methi seeds floating into my mouth and me ruminating over them while trying hard to hold back throwing up instead (Methi seeds are bitter even after being soaked overnight and take forever to chew into a state that can be swallowed -- sigh but they are so called HEALTHY and hence the endurance of misery), downing some more water to wash away the after taste; fixing chai for my husband in the annoying steel Dekchi, which has survived my daily vows of throwing it out every morning thanks to the messy sputtering of millions of chai droplets around the cup while pouring the hot chai out; cutting and making a sabzi in the everlasting Kadhai and making rotis for the kids; fixing breakfast for the kids, which is either of the following - paranthas for which I get awarded a slurp/beam, boiled eggs for which I get an ugly face as if I am the worst mother on earth, crisp butter sada dosas which are appreciated with a smile, chocos which they love the most more because they lovingly chuck them at each other while eating -- several pieces of chocos lie victim on the floor after they have left for school and lastly a scrambled egg for Roshni and an omelete for Raunaq combo - so the kids have either of the above as the main breakfast + an Elchi Banana + a Large Mug of Milk with Chocolate Horlicks -- I love playing Mommy and my poor kids have now suffered this forced big breakfast eating too long to complain any more :); packing their lunch boxes with rotis in foil, sabzi in a separate container, spoon and a paper napkin; filling their bottles; packing Raunaq' snack box with some nick-nacks; meanwhile in the middle of all this flurry the beds are made, the milk is boiled, some frantic instructions are given, some signs are done on important yet perpetually ignored till the last minute documents, some irritation is expressed and last but not the least quick hugs and kisses are exchanged before the kid's exit happens for the day at 7.45AM. Once the kids have left, I get into my sexy (I would like to believe) fitness gear and leave the house for the next one hour during which I either go the Gym where I work on my upper / lower body / abs with weights or just go for a long walk in the Garden followed up with some yoga like Alom Vilom, Kapal Bharati, breathing, eye exercises in the sun. This is truly the best part of my day -- I enjoy it the most as it is the only time that I dedicate to myself unconditionally. 

After I return, I fix breakfast for Farrukh and me. I usually read the papers while eating breakfast and then get ready for office. Once our great Househelp, Jayshree arrives; we depend on her completely for ALL the rest of the endless work that happens in a home; as I leave for office.

Well today was not like the usual mornings as our friendly neighbourhood milkman got delayed and so did not arrive before Farrukh left for his morning walk which is at 6.15 AM. My morning alarm is set for 6.30AM and even these extra 15mins are much desired bliss and I hate trading them for anything. However, this morning just after Farrukh left, our SHRILLING LOUD doorbell rang. I ignored it knowing it was Azad (he's the milkman) and praying that he will leave the milk packets on the mat outside. But the bell rang again. I hauled myself out of bed and staggered with closed eyes to open the door. "Kya karte ho Azad, Double Ghanti kyon mara tumne? Bola hai na ki disturb hota hai". He said, "Madam, watchman ne bola hai ki doodh chori hota hai to jab tak aap khologey nahin tab tak ghanti marney ka" I grumbled and stretched out my hand for the milk and I receive in my hand only one small packet of milk. I tried to open my eyes to the bright light in the corridor and said "Arrey yeh kya sirf 1/2 litre?? What about the balance 1 litre?" "Sorry Madam aaj doodh kam hai kyonki doosra building mein chori ho gaya to mujhe doodh unko dena pada"

Drat ... when a morning begins like this everything goes for a tizzy as my blissful half an hour on the pot ends up being hurried and nervous thinking of - what will I give the kids, how will Farrukh have his chai??? Today I was worried as I had set curd last night with the balance milk and it was clearly not possible to have the kids share less than half a litre of milk!!

I went through my BMR with a frown on my face, growled at the kids and Farrukh for something totally unimportant, gave the kids their boiled eggs for which I promtly got ugly faces in return "Mom I hate boiled eggs" said Raunaq at which I further growled between clenched teeth "HAVE IT -- its the healthiest part of your breakfast" and then added while hurrying back for the kitchen - "Sorry there's no milk for you guys today". There was a unanimous YEEEAY ... Hey no problem at all Mom... its okay really!! Their hugs were warmer and their kisses were with a smile on their faces when they left for school... SIGH I love being loved by my babies ... I obviously have Azad to thank for this mornings display of affection from them. 

Like they say in the larger picture of life everything fits in well!!

2 comments:

anja said...

Yayayayayayayaya! Woohoooooooo! Welcome to blogger my sunshine. I am soo happy to see your blog, its great to read, I love the title and the pics. I AM THRILLED BEYOND words. I love reading your blog. I miss you all so much, you'll are right here next to me in Sunshine land I understand now why you enjoy middlemonth. Its so great to see you express yourself, we hard working women need our own space to create..I love the details of your BRM..Azad becharey ne do ghanti bajayi...lekin phir bhi san acchaa guzra...I love your blog.

PRIYA SHARMA SHAIKH said...

Yeah our friend Azad is quite a cool dude - he has a mobile on which you can call him to tell him to bring more milk or not bring any at all etc. basically quite the instructive type of situation!! he goes about his early morning duties with a smug face or a smile ... nobody knows cause all he gets is bleary eyes or hands or worse still just a "thaili" in which he is to shove the milk and fatre which it is not his responsibility if it gets stolen ... Sigh!! The only time he has or rather I notice some expression on his face is when he comes to collect his monthly paisa :)

Glad you like the blog darling

Raj Kumar Singh - Being Good, Rickshaw Driver, Mumbai

While getting off a rickshaw saddled with a few heavy bags last afternoon, I heard a sound of something dropping and so turned to look ba...