Friday, February 4, 2011

Lily Boose Nu!@#$?


You must wonder who this is ... is it a woman, flower, animal!? It is none other than my darling husband Farrukh Shaikh ... One fine evening when my dear Anika was doleful; she and I playfully christened him with the name and it has stuck ... she now calls him simply LILY and adores him ... bonds of love that are timeless and names that are often weird and unexplained but their oddity and cuteness spells LOVE.

I remember my mum calling my sister 'malkin' and my dad calling me piyu, rui (as in as soft as cotton wool) and peachy. My kid sister was called pochersingh, chocha, chochey, mulmooch :) The cutest name that I have been called has been by my babies ... they call me MARSHIE(as in marsh-mallow -- they think I am as cuddly and soft as one) ... shaikhu and honey call me Pichi (which was a shortened version of Priya Chachi:))

I remember some really weird petnames/nicknames in the family as well. My cousins are called Sunny, Honey, Money, Bunny. Another set is called; Chicky, Ricky, Nicky and yet another is called Ginni, Minni, Tinni... My MIL called her 4 sons Munna, Pappu, Raju, Guddu ... this is typical of a Punjabi sibling lineup.

I remember a Bengali sister and brother having the names Buchki and Potal ... two boys in Cathedral school were called smallie and biggie when they were kids -its a different thing that smallie grew in size to be a lot huger than biggie but the names had stuck... Farrukh calls his friends by weird names like Sanju is called Coolie, Pramod is Lungi, Vanu is Hathyarin, Tanu is Monopause, Hoju is Tension, Archie is Doordarshan, Duriya is Khamoshi, Honey is Chantt, Guddu is Rangeela, Tariq is Sarkar and Prashant is Sanki etc... They hate him for these names but he calls them by these names nevertheless and has also logged them so in his mobile contact list... Looks weird when there is an incoming call from say Sanki or Lungi or Monopause :)

Have you heard of any weird names? Do share them with me in your feedback comments below ... This is Piyu signing off with love :)

No comments:

Raj Kumar Singh - Being Good, Rickshaw Driver, Mumbai

While getting off a rickshaw saddled with a few heavy bags last afternoon, I heard a sound of something dropping and so turned to look ba...